Friday, April 30, 2010

We Have A Blog!

For some time now, I've been wanting to start a blog so that our family and friends can keep up with us and now with our departure from California lurking around the corner and having been blessed with an oh so cute baby to take pictures of, there's no better time than now to begin. Matt is graduating from The Master's Seminary on May 9th (Congrats Hunny!), and we hit the road the next day. We'll be driving up to Washington state first to visit my family for a couple of weeks and from there we'll be driving across North America to Toronto where we plan on settling. In light of us leaving, a couple of the same questions keep coming up so I'll answer them here to catch everyone up to speed.

Question #1: "What are you planning on doing back in Canada?" Good question! For starters we'll be heading back to the area Matt grew up in and staying with his parents until we figure out our long-term living situation. Basements are prevalent in Canada and the one Matt's parents have is practically its own house so we are thankful for their kindness and generosity in letting us stay with them for a while. Occupation-wise Matt is planning on getting a job outside the church, not exactly sure in what field yet but we'll keep you posted. Church-wise we are planning on being part of a church plant called Harvest Durham where Matt's childhood BFF, Ian Hales, will be Senior Pastor. If you want to learn more, check out the website:

www.harvestdurham.com

The church is expected to launch this Fall and already has a very large core group that has been meeting and praying together - we are so excited to be a part of this body of Christ and to see how the Lord will glorify Himself through this church. I plan on being a stay-at-home wife and mom and I couldn't be any happier about that!

Question #2: "Are you ready to live in Canada and be Canadian?" I must say that I never thought I would marry a Canadian and live in Canada but looking back at my life, I shouldn't be too surprised that Canada would become part of my destiny. I grew up in the very northwest corner of Washington state right under the Canadian border and I remember going to bed late at night as the Canadian channel was signing off for the evening with a kid kicking off the Canadian national anthem in a very high voice, and I would fall asleep hearing, "O Canada, my home and native land..." I'm familiar with the territory since I visited the country numerous times with my family, driving back and forth across the border to visit my Canadian relatives. I ate Canadian candies like Smarties (which are chocolate, not fruit tart-ish like in America), Skor bars, Coffee Crisp, and Mackintosh toffee. I knew who Trevor Linden was. I know what movie has the line, "Take off you hoser." I know that curling is not limited to what you do to hair. So you can obviously see that I have been prepared for this moment all along!

There will definitely be some things I'm going to miss here in the States though: Target, Trader Joe's, farenheit and miles, celebrating Thanksgiving after Halloween, but more than anything else, the most difficult thing to leave behind will be the people we know and love. So please come expand your knowledge of our continent and come see us in the Great White North, we would love visitors! Okay, before I get too sad, let's move onto a happier subject: Baby Jet! He is now almost 11 weeks old and is growing like a weed. He is in the stage of cooing and laughing and he absolutely loves his bath time and is a born swimmer, unlike his Mommy. We are so blessed to call him ours and Matt and I can't get enough of him. Here are some pics of our little man to brighten up your day!










3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! Thanks for the post Sue, we can't wait to have you guys here in Canada. Canada's not so bad and baby Jet is more than likely a born hockey player!

    Praying for you guys as you make your journey across North America and know that God will use your family in tremendous ways! We love you guys!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT, too! This blog is going in my favorites. Jet is sooo cute! and I'm glad to be able to keep up with your journey.
    ~Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to BLOG world! Omi word, my heart is swooning on how cute Jet is Sue...the first picture looks like he just ate? Anyways, it was great to read the updates and plans. Let us know if you want to hang out, otherwise we may have to wait for heaven (lol). No worries if it's too hard. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete