Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

With today being Father's Day I cannot help but think of the great fathers that are in my life. I am so thankful that in a world full of absentee or abusive fathers, I am blessed to have and to know the best four.


Everyone knows the typical jokes about in-laws but I am so thankful that none of them apply to me and my situation. I have inherited the best father-in-law anyone could ever ask for. Papa Sylvester is a kind, giving, and thoughtful man who loves the the Lord and His word like nobody's business. From making sure all your needs are met while you're in his home, to genuinely caring about you by asking questions and listening to what you have to say, Daddy Sylvester is a soft-spoken, funny, and humble man of God and Matt and I are so thankful to call him dad. Not to mention that after having raised four boys, Papa S treats me like the daughter they never had, venturing near princess status:)


My dad is one of the most hard-working people I have ever known; having come to this country as a refugee, he has been relentless in working however many hours in whatever context in order to provide for us as a family and has gone on to become a very successful businessman. But despite his accomplishments, my dad never takes for granted a single penny and has instilled in me a healthy sense of frugality when it comes to self while being an over-the-top generous giver when it comes to others. And even though he's a hard-working man, I love that my dad plays just as hard, enjoying life by singing, dancing, traveling, exercising, and eating well. I am so thankful for all the ways my dad has has provided for me and taken care of me from the day I was born until now.


Being the best husband ever, I shouldn't be surprised that Matt would also be the best dad ever. Jet is beyond blessed to have the privilege of calling this man daddy and my hope is that my son will grow up to be just like his father. Matt's love for Jet is seen in everything from changing a practically lethal diaper to feeding him in the middle of the night to taking the time to just play and talk with him throughout the day to not ever getting frazzled or frustrated when Jet won't stop crying to praying for him - I cannot wait to see how he will continue to grow as a godly father and to watch his relationship with Jet develop over these upcoming years.

And finally, I am most thankful for the greatest Father any of us could ever know. Ever since God saved me in high school, I have known what it is like to be provided for perfectly, to be disciplined fittingly, to be carried faithfully, and to be loved infinitely. All the amazing earthly fathers are just a mere shadow and slight glimpse of the Heavenly Father we all need and long for and I am full of thankfulness and praise to have the privilege of being a child of God whose heart is able to cry out, "Abba Father!" I love you Lord.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more! Praise the Lord for our wonderful in laws!! Please wish Matt a happy Father's Day for me - I forgot to yesterday!
    Beautifully written Suelynn!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete