Sunday, June 27, 2010

Quesadillas

I love Mexican food but it tends to be greasy and fatty so I like to take the framework of a dish and mix it up a little bit to add more nutrients and decrease the fat. A quick and easy lunch or dinner to make are quesadillas. These items are what I typically like to put in them:

- grilled chicken
- black beans
- some sort of low-fat cheese
- sauteed bell peppers and onions
- chopped tomatoes
- whole-wheat tortillas

*salsa and homemade guacamole on the side

I will cut up all my veggies, saute the onions and peppers, cook the chicken, and have all the other ingredients in prep bowls all around me so that I can assemble each quesadilla quickly, then I grill them up two at a time while I keep working on the other ones. I like to grill the quesadillas in a panini press but you can do it right in the pan on the stove. No need for nonstick spray or oil, just throw them dry right into the pan and voila! you've got yourself a delicious meal that includes a good balance of lean protein, good carbs, veggies, and good fat.


When you have everything prepped for assembly, it makes life so much easier






So yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment