Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Applesauce Pumpkin Muffins

I know that it's not Fall but I love pumpkin-flavored things so I made some muffins from The Eat-Clean Cookbook today. Typically muffins are a major health-trap as they usually are high in fat, sugar, and white flour. Some muffins that some coffee chains offer can pack up to 600 calories - not a good way to start your day. These muffins are not that sweet and are packed with good-for-you ingredients and are delicious in any season.

- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 large egg whites + one yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbs. + 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 skim milk
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour or flour of your choice (I used brown rice flour)
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup maple sugar flakes (I used sucanat sugar instead, you can find this at Whole Foods or a health food store)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper or coat with nonfat cooking spray.

Combine oatmeal, pumpkin, applesauce, milk, eggs, and oil. Mix until all ingredients are blended.

Mix together dry ingredients then mix with wet ingredients until just combined. Add dried fruit. Fill muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.


(I doubled the recipe but it originally yields 12 muffins)

Nutrition value per muffin: Calories = 189, Protein = 6 g, Carbs = 21 g, Sugars = 8g, Fat = 8g

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I'll have to make a batch :) I always love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your comment about muffins being a "trap" mean you're over BBSC? I'm not so sure about this healthy Yuli.... : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well what I do know is that I am definitely over having BBSC up to my elbows, getting hypothermia on my fingers from the frozen blueberries, and the crusties sticking to my sleeve the rest of the day - gotta love our Clementine days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey CJ! If you like the recipes I've been posting, check out: www.theeatcleandiet.com They've got more listed there and I think you'll enjoy browsing the website as well!

    ReplyDelete