Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

As America celebrates another year of enjoying its independence, I find myself missing the good ol' States as I start this next chapter of my life in Canada. Don't get me wrong, Canada is a great country and I am looking forward to me and Jet enjoying dual citizenship as we lay down our roots here as a family, but I never thought I would ever not live in America and I am already feeling nostalgic for it. Over the last few years I've grown in my knowledge and appreciation for the USA by reading some really great history books on its rich heritage. I highly recommend David McCullough's "1776" as a good primer.


To see how the country began, to see people standing up for what they believed in, to risk all they had, including their lives, in order for the country to exist in the name of liberty and freedom, is a fact that is all too often taken for granted by the people living in it now. There is no perfect country, and America is no exception, but I love the USA and all the noble ideals its forefathers fought for and embodied. I miss you dear country, may you always be "the land of the free and the home of the brave."

No comments:

Post a Comment