Saturday, July 3, 2010

Roast Chicken

So remember that organic whole chicken we picked up the other day at the farm? Well I cooked it tonight and boy was it delicious! (Carly, you were my inspiration since it reminds me of the one you made us for lunch!). And if I remember correctly, we both used Ina Garten as our guide. Follow this link if you want to see what I based mine on:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/perfect-roast-chicken-recipe/index.html

Even though the thought of having to deal with an entire chicken may seem intimidating, roasting a chicken is one of the easiest meals you can make, and when you bake it on top of some vegetables you basically have your whole meal all ready to go. Throw in a green salad and you've got yourself an amazingly simple, healthy, and tasty dinner.


For the veggies you will want with your dinner, choose from the root family, I used potatoes and carrots but you can also use squash, parsnips, etc. You'll also want to throw in some aromatics like celery and onion for flavor, but they tend to get pretty soggy while they roast so I just toss those after baking. Toss the veggies in some olive oil, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper. Inside the chicken I put cut up pieces of lemon, this gives it such a nice flavor and if I had it on me, I would also put in some peeled pieces of garlic and fresh sprigs of rosemary, but the chicken still tasted great without it. For the chicken, rinse it completely and then pat it dry with some papertowels, rub olive oil, sea salt, and pepper all over it and inside as well. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours or until juices run clear.




Voila!


We loved this meal! And by the way, we also ate the organic cantaloupe we picked up from the farm for dessert and I think it was the best cantaloupe I've ever tasted - so sweet and juicy!


And here's the latest shot of our little Monkey, my Baby is growing up so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment