When people ask me what I miss about living in California, my immediate response after 1. The people, is 2. The food! We live about 25 minutes outside Toronto so it's pretty bare bones in terms of eating out options around here. It's mostly typical suburban restaurant chains and quite depressing for someone who likes a variety of unique foods. Teamed up with the fact that I just discovered "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the Food Network, it's got me thinking about some of the best things I've ever eaten in LA, so to all my Cali friends out there, please go check out these places and take a big, yummy bite for me:)
(in no particular order):
- Tito's Tacos: Culver City: The tacos! Served up with a side of thick and crunchy tortilla chips and delicious housemade salsa, Tito's Tacos with cheese are simple yet oh so tasty. There is always typically a line up no matter what time of day you go but they move fast and the wait is worth it.
- Kouraku: Little Tokyo (downtown): I always order one of two things at this little modest hole in the wall, 1. The nikudango (sweet and sour meatballs, I know, sounds weird to have at a Japanese restaurant but they are SO good!) or 2. The kimchi ramen. The ramen is always piping hot and the kimchi adds a nice kick of flavor, I am almost always craving this when it rains.
- Versailles: various locations: The Famoso Pollo Versailles! Served with a side of rice, black beans, and fried plantains, this garlic chicken dish is absolutely delicious.
- The Oinkster: Eagle Rock: The belgian fries! These are the best french fries ever; I like to dip mine in regular Heinz ketchup (even though they have a house version) and/or their garlic aioli sauce, the best!
- Damon and Pythias: Westwood: The cheesesteak sandwich and onion rings! This winning combo is so good and the onion rings are the best I ever had.
- Pho 999: Van Nuys: The pho with rare beef or the vermicelli noodle salad with grilled beef and egg rolls. Inexpensive, quickly served, and super tasty, this kitschy Vietnamese restaurant was always a go-to for Matt and me.