Sunday, March 6, 2011

Birthday Festivities

We Sylvesters like to draw out birthday celebrations to last for a few days and Matt's birthday this year was no exception. We were able to celebrate his actual birthday with our beloved Small Group on Thursday by eating cupcakes and icecream sundaes, then Matt and I were able to celebrate just the two of us with dinner and a movie on Friday, and on Saturday we topped it all off with a nice family dinner. We love celebrating all the joyous occasions God has given us in this life to enjoy so we are thankful for times like these.


No, I did not make these. Matt's mom ordered these from a local bakery, very festive!


Decorations look familiar? Recycling is fun!


Icecream sundae bar; I love this idea for big group parties. Thanks to our Small Group who brought all the toppings! 


The Birthday Boy


Enjoying the goods




Me and my handsome Hunny


For our family dinner we started out with: Baked Fontina (this was amazingly delicious - make it!) w/toasted baguettes, and Rosemary Bean Soup. Thanks to Ive who brought the yummy caprese salad. I forgot to take pics of the main entree but I made Penne Rustica, paying homage to my Macaroni Grill days. For the pasta, you will definitely want to cut down the butter in the recipe, I found that it was flavorful enough without the extra 6 ounces it calls for.

Barefoot Contessa’s Baked Fontina
Serves 4 – 6
(I baked them in individual ramekins even though this recipe says to do it in one big cast-iron skillet.)
1 1/2 pounds Italian Fontina, rind removed and 1-inch-diced
1/4 cup good olive oil
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 crusty French baguette
Preheat the broiler and position the oven rack 5 inches from the heat.
Distribute the cubes of Fontina evenly in a 12-inch cast-iron pan. Drizzle on the olive oil. Combine the garlic, thyme, and rosemary and sprinkle it over the cheese and olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and place the pan under the broiler for 6 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling and starts to brown.
Serve the baked Fontina family-style — right out of the oven in the pan with bread for everyone to dip.

My first time making an icecream cake. I used boxed lemon cake ("What?!" you might be asking. Now I am all about trying to make most everything from scratch but I have to admit that I really like the taste of boxed cakes). I then layered it with vanilla icecream, frosted it with whipped cream mixed with fresh lemon curd and lemon zest, and garnished it with lemon curd and fresh strawberries. Quite tasty I must say!





And for those of you who keep asking to see a prego picture - here you go! I am now 26 weeks along and Baby Girl has been movin' and groovin!


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow everything looks so fun and delicious! And Sue you look SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete