Monday, March 12, 2012

Gnocchi

To me, gnocchi was one of those things, like souffle, that sounded really intimidating to make. But I saw a recipe in my Food Network magazine last week that looked pretty easy so I decided to give it a try. Verdict? Like making a souffle, it's so much easier than you'd think and the end result is a dish that conveys decadence and fanciness, disguising its simplicity. I only made the gnocchi part in this recipe and made my own sauce. As yummy as I'm sure it would be, throwing the gnocchi into a ton of butter kind of grossed me out. But try making the gnocchi, you won't be disappointed!



You will need a ricer, which is this funny looking clamp thing in the above pic. It basically mashes the potato for you with one push down, ensuring that you don't overmash the potatoes, creating a glutinous mess. I normally use this to make my mashed potatoes.

Also, instead of baking the potatoes, if you want a shortcut, just microwave all of them at the same time (after pricking with a fork). About 8 minutes or so depending on the size of your potatoes. This makes the recipe super easy and super quick to make.


Hand rolling it out


Cut up into bite-size pillows


These cook really fast, like 3 minutes fast. When you first throw them in they'll sink to the bottom but when they're done cooking, they'll begin popping up to the surface.


Once they're done cooking you can just scoop them up and throw them into the sauce of your choice. Matt's not a big pesto fan (which is how they're popularly served) so I decided to serve them in a spinach bolognese sauce. Gnocchi is great in being so versatile, they can be served whichever way you like.


The gnocchi was so soft and fluffy, definitely a keeper!


And here are some of the latest shots of the two cutest kids in the world:


First frappucino experience, I don't think he really liked it:)


Such a boy. He was actually doing a really good job!


Roxy Crockett!


Informally trying to potty-train him and although this picture might convey enthusiasm for going on the toilet, in reality, he's not having any of it.


My pretty Roxy girl

1 comment: