Monday, June 4, 2012

Backyard Garden

One of my bucket list items has always been to grow my own little garden, I've wanted to do this ever since I was little (I know, I'm weird!) but maybe it has to do with the fact that my next door neighbors growing up had a huge garden and I remember how fun it was to dig up potatoes, carrots, and to pick green beans fresh off the vine, eating them on the spot. So it might have been more nostalgia more than anything that made me want a garden growing up but now, more than ever, I want to source as much stuff as I possibly can in-house, first it was bread, then it was icecream, and now veggies and herbs. Another goal for someday: fresh eggs from our own chickens but that will have to wait. For now, I am going to sit back and watch this sweet little garden grow.

My sweet friend Sue from church grew up on a farm and is quite the green thumber so she was so kind to volunteer her time to show me how to plant and not only that but she brought me a ton of seeds and veggies from her own garden so that I could plant them in mine. Thanks so much for making one of my dreams come true Sue!

p.s. You don't need a big backyard to make a garden happen, we planted half our vegetables in pots so it is possible to grow at least a few things in your backyard no matter how small the space, so give it a try!


Here's Sue and her son Paul and little Jet Man


Jet LOVED the dirt (surprise, surprise!:) We eventually had to exile him into the house since he started to go crazy with the dirt throwing it everywhere but hey, can you blame him?


Sue brought me all these great seeds!


Tomato plant, spinach, and buttercrunch lettuce


Green beans, more tomatoes, and basil


Endive and yellow beans


Cucumber (will grow onto the trellis since it needs a lot of support for its vines) and mesclun lettuce mix.


Our backyard is pretty small so we had to be creative. We used the area around our air conditioning unit (I'll have to keep an eye on the plants to ensure they don't grow into the unit, otherwise, this is a great use of space). We also planted some petunias and impatients plus an herb garden consisting of rosemary, oregano, tarragon and chives.


Those are strawberries in those baskets! I never realized they sold them in hanging baskets so here's another way to grow some fruit even if you don't have a lot of space (I got them at Costco). And I am currently obsessed with topiaries, if they weren't so expensive, I would have way more all over the place!


We had extra flowers so I decided to plant them alongside the fence and bordered them with the extra rocks from our yard.


I am also currently obsessed with water fountains, specifically lion ones (don't ask me why). But these things are crazy expensive and a lot of the lion ones look really scary but I found this one on Kijiji and it was perfect - a nice looking lion and I got it for such a good price. Am planning on getting a little table to place it on to give it some height but for now, on the ground is where it's at.


I love jasmine, they smell so good and this is a perennial so it will bloom again every year.


   
Loving our sweet little sanctuary.
Now we just need a patio set and we'll be good to go!

3 comments:

  1. So fun! Everything looks great. Enjoy your summer of gardening!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuli, you will love gardening! It is so wonderful to walk out your back door and snip some basil and fresh tomatoes for a salad. By the end of the summer, I hope you have a bounty to enjoy. We're loving our apricots right now. The one I ate today was probably the best I have ever eaten. It's amazing to realize how much you can do with just a little plot of land.

    Now as far as chickens.....let's talk before you take those on :)

    It appears you are all doing well up there in Canada, but why do you need A/C?

    Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete